Also known as "the Gentle Art". Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is one of the purest martial arts in terms of self defense. The core principles are based on leverage and anatomy. BJJ's philosophy is using technique to overpower strength - the smaller, weaker person being able to defeat the bigger, stronger person - in a nut shell. Our Jiu Jitsu program is a great way to get fit and build discipline, to learn self defense and gain confidence in your abilities.
To someone just beginning BJJ, starting as a brand new white belt may seem intimidating. There is a saying in the Jiu Jitsu Community, "a black belt is a white belt who never gave up." Whether to become a world champion or to just become better in everyday life, BJJ at Gracie Barra Costa Mesa is top notch, and a gym like no other -
come in for a free week trial!
Here is what to expect when you walk in:
• To be greeted at the front desk by a Gracie Barra Staff member
• Then fill out an intro form and try on loner uniform before class
• Taught how to bow on to the mat and shown where to line up during class.
• Taking part in the class warm up, learning technique, and practicing the moves during positional training.
You can book a class online, give us a call to schedule it, or just show up about ~15 minutes early before the class;
• Wear dark athletic clothing and sandals
• Bring water and a willingness to learn
• Be ready to met new (awesome) people and have fun doing something brand new!
The hardest part of training is getting through the door - once you are here you can see that you made the right choice.